Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Uganda- Part 3

Mityana, Uganda

After the World Vision part of our trip, we traveled about 4 hours to Mityana to visit a sweet missionary family from our church.  This is their 3rd year as missionaries in Uganda.  They have two sweet children.  Their son will be leaving for boarding school in Kenya soon, and their daughter is going into 5th grade.  From the moment we arrived, Faith Anna and their daughter became fast friends!  It was very clear that the Lord had orchestrated this part of the trip just to love on her and bless her with a sweet friend in Faith Anna.

Their backporch

Tree climbers

 David, a precious little guy who they have "adopted" part time from a local orphanage.  He is HIV+, has just gotten over a severe case of TB, and is just full of joy.  He stays with their family several days a week.  


 The view from their backyard.  Just gorgeous!


The tree house was a big hit!


Good friends


Peas in a pod

 A carnival that we put on for one of the local schools in Mityana.  These children had never been to anything like this before!

Making balloon animals….and wearing them!




Loved getting to know this dear couple!

 Faith Anna playing games with the kids



Leading  music at the carnival

Face paint....and arm paint!



 Water balloon toss

Taking a ride with Timo on his "Picky"

 Sweet David.  I fell in love with this little one.




 One of the highlights of our time in Mityana was the last day- we had the privilege of spending time in the villages with several families- just doing life with them.  Faith Anna stayed back and I headed out with Rick and Bev to Emmanuel and Margaret's family.  This is Gorrhetti and Annette, 2 of their children.


 Bev with baby Grace.  She stole our  hearts...


 This is the mother, Margaret, and Bennah.


 Crushing the "G-nuts" (ground nuts) up into a sauce.


 The children have to walk about 15 minutes downhill with their Jerry-cans to fetch water several times a day.    Here we are at a water well with the children from this village.


 Filling our cans with water.



 This is how the children carry the water cans back- uphill- now weighing 25-40 pounds depending on how big the Jerry can is.





 This is the hardest work I had done all week.  These water cans were SO heavy!  I can't believe that these children do this 4-5 times a day!!

 Grace.  She just hung on Bev and I.  So precious.

Rick and "Timo"-Timothy.  Timo interpreted for us at the village.  He led worship at our church service and is an outstanding young man.  He wants to study at UTD and then go to medical school.  I think the Lord has incredible things in store for this fellow!

 Eating some "Jack fruit" in the village.  It tasted like a mixture of pineapple and mango...


 Bev and Grace



 We worked in the village all morning with the women, Florence and Margaret, and all the children.  This is Bev carrying matoki on her head!  (Looked like bananas, but was actually more like yellow squash.)

 The women taught us how to do all of their daily chores- we cut matoki leaves, brought in the fruit, peeled it all, wrapped it in the leaves, made fire, put the matoki on to cook, washed dishes with dirty water,  made G-nut sauce, fetched water, played and sang with the children.  It was a glorious day.

 This is Robert, 15 years old and the eldest of all the children.  He spoke English very well and was so helpful to us and his parents. I was very impressed with Robert.

 Gorrhetti was my little shadow.  She stayed right by my side all day.  I fell in love with this little, spunky lady.

 Little Florence gathering water.


  These kids just lit up when she arrived at the village.

We had a wonderful time staying with this incredible family.  They are full of faith and are trusting in the Lord for each day and each opportunity He brings their way to share the gospel.  They have really invested their time and devotion into the local people- and they have earned their respect and the right to be heard.  I am praying that the Lord will continue the great work he is doing in and through them.


 On our last day in Uganda, before we flew out to London, we visited a botanical garden in Entebbe.  Faith Anna got to finally see monkeys!!


 See the baby she's carrying on her belly?




So fun!  Such an incredible trip.  Such amazing perspective gained.  Loved the special time I had with my girl, and the way the Lord impressed these precious people into our hearts.  I will not soon forget.  


 17 “The poor and needy search for water, but there is none; their tongues are parched with thirst. But I the LORD will answer them; I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them. 18 I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs. 19 I will put in the desert the cedar and the acacia, the myrtle and the olive. I will set junipers in the wasteland, the fir and the cypress together, 20 so that people may see and know, may consider and understand, that the hand of the LORD has done this, that the Holy One of Israel has created it."
  Isaiah 41:17-20

   

No comments: