Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Little things

It's late and Logan is up with an earache. He came downstairs a little while ago just crying that his ear hurt so badly! Probably too much swimming...
So now after some medicine and some hair-scratches, he's laying on the couch beside me and it just makes me think of all the little things I am thankful for. And all the things in this world that are spinning out of control around me at the same time.

I'm so thankful for this family God has given me. For Logan's wide-front tooth grin and those sweet freckles across his nose. I love how he tries to make jokes and be funny in that silly 6 year old way. He is so cute.

For the way Faith Anna loves to dress-up and perform...yet in certain situations, she is one of the most shy little girls I've ever known. When she hides behind me or clings to my leg for dear life...it reminds me that we all have that God-given need to feel safe. She is learning to have new confidence daily and how to feel safe even in the unknown things. But anyway, today she sat me down to play "beauty shop"...and she had thought of everything. She put water in a little medicine cup and used a cotton swab to "paint my fingernails". She brushed my hair and put more barrettes and ribbons in it than should be legal. But just her cute mannerisms and imagination crack me up. And she has this silly, crooked smile that she does...

For Beth's dimple. She smiles and it just lights up the room. I love how she plays make-believe and uses all her stuffed animals and anything else that she can find! She has such a fun, spunky personality. And Luke and I are just watching her grow up before our very eyes. She changes daily...and we are really beginning to see the fruits of our labor! She is learning to mind the first time, come when she's called, and how to be kind and really care for others. These are big things in the life of a 2 year old!

For this baby who is jumping around right now in my belly. Even as I sit here and type, I can visibly see my belly moving. What a miracle! God is so amazing the way he creates and gives life. I can't wait to meet this baby boy. What will he be like? What will he grow to be? What plans does God have for him already?

For my sweet husband. He has loved me so well for over 11 years. How did I ever deserve him? I married way out of my league. I love how he gets me when no one else does. I love how in sync we are on everything. And I love how he chooses to be with us instead of doing lots of other things that beckon him at times. He is wonderful. His blue eyes still move me... and now he has given me three more sets of those same exact blue eyes. Funny. Wonder if this last babe will break the trend and be brown-eyed like his mama...

For all of our amazing extended family....and wonderful friends....and on and on.

And all of this in the midst of a hurting world. In the midst of fear and suffering and pain. There is such irony and contradiction in it all. My heart aches for all of those people that are hurting so badly right now. For Julie Pritchett and Laine Scott who's moms are both struggling in a fight against cancer...for the Sheets who are all missing Tyler so much...for the Akeman's who have endured a 2-year struggle with sweet Avery that none of us can even imagine...for Terah who is separated from Nate in Iraq...for Thi and her family in Vietnam...for Sharon and the Moyo family in Zimbabwe...for the Hellings who just lost their new baby after only 45 minutes of life in this world....for Stacy, Sarah Grace and Cammy who miss their Daddy so much....for the Otte's who have gone thru so much to have sweet baby Kate....for all the lonely people out there...for the orphans and broken families...for the desperate, the abused, the enslaved...and on and on.

But God is sovereign. He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Please put some salve on this world Lord. We need it so badly.

I am praying for the PAPA Mission trip right now. Thank you Sheets and Browns for going over tp Africa and so faithfully serving in such a hurting place. What a difference you are making. And thank you Andy for your talk on "Less is more" and getting rid of the extra. Using the money from the extra to fund things like "Water is basic". Check it out at waterisbasic.org
These are the little things that make a difference.
These are the little things that I'm pondering way after midnight now...way too late when I should be sleeping.
peace to you all

4 comments:

Kara said...

isn't it amazing that during the quiet times we are able to think on a different level than during our normal 'busy' routine?? i find myself on the verge of tears many times during the middle of the night feeding the boys. your words are great.

on another note, i love the 'more ribbons and bows than should be legal' comment. i can see it now...!

stacy seago said...

What a beautiful post! I have missed ya'll in the blog world, but it seems you've been busy...what a wonderful trip with sweet precious memories!

Anonymous said...

Shannon,

Your family is so inspirational to Jennifer and I. The joy you experience from your family and share with all of us is a beacon of light in a sometimes dark world. Thanks for allowing us a glimpse into your heart and mind.

CJ

Unknown said...

Beautiful. I love how you share your heart. What a blessing your prayers are to those who obviously need a touch of God's hand. I know He hears and answers.